Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, July 5, 2010

Evolution of a Pub

My dad was very surprised when he first found out we were pregnant. He was the one who transformed our basement into a British Pub. His logic was that any young couple who wanted a Pub in their basement wasn't exactly thinking ahead to a life with children in the near future. But I ask you, what child doesn't want to play in a Pub and enjoy a Dickens Christmas every year?


That being said, my dad had a point, and now Warren & I are working on re-organising the Pub to accommodate a 'grown-up' TV/movie watching/fireplace area, and a play area for Rhys (and any little buddies that may come over!). Part one of this transformation was getting rid of the GINORMOUS, space-sucking, eyesore of a TV that we had down there. Warren got it for free from a client who just wanted to get rid of it. It has served us well, but it was taking up precious real estate in our Pub, and no child needs a screen that big, blaring Treehouse into their skull. My brother came over yesterday to try and move it. Some photos for size reference:

Beside Warren, who is 6'3":


At the bottom of the stairs:


Needless to say, the move was UN-SUCCESSFUL. I'm pretty sure we need to hire a piano mover to get this thing up our stairs. Getting it down was scary enough (I had 9-1-1 ready to go). So, it's now found a temporary home in our freezer room.

Today, I drove up to Airdrie to pick up a corner TV stand I found on kijiji to house a smaller, old TV we had kicking around. Now, Rhys doesn't really watch TV, but I know this will come in handy when he's old enough to like cartoons or movies, plus, I know his Aunt Kayley & Uncle James might want to watch TV when they come to visit. Here's the beginnings of Rhys' Pub Playroom:

I'm wondering if I should get some wooden letters and make a sign that says 'Ye Olde Playroom'. Ha!

But OH! The 'grown-up' area is awesome! We got a new TV mounted to the wall (space saver!!) and I absolutely LOVE the ambiance down there. I feel like we've doubled the size of our house. While Adam was over we 'christened' the new TV by watching 'Shutter Island' on Blu-ray. GREAT MOVIE! Highly recommend it.

Now, since I'm sure my mom is getting annoyed at the lack of Rhys photos in this post...here you go. This was taken the day after the projectile vomit episode - much happier baby!


2 comments:

The Blakeneys said...

Oh my, that IS a big TV. As for the new look in the space, I happen to know 2 little boys who would love to visit Rhys in the "Ye Olde Playroom". Looks great and very kid friendly! :)

Shawna said...

Where is the photo of the awesome new TV and grown-up pub area??? That face says he is plotting to take over the whole basement. He he.