Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Always The First To Know

I had another Ortho appointment on Monday, firstly to get some teeth shaved with a mini little chain-saw type tool that the dentist actually referred to as 'dangerous', and secondly to get 6 more weeks worth of invisilign trays. Aside from the dusty tooth particles flying out of my mouth from said shaving tool, the appointment was going well. Until she noticed some 'decay'. Yes, apparently one of my molars had a big, fat cavity. This was shocking since just 2 weeks earlier I'd gone for my 4 month cleaning & check-up at with my regular dentist. My regular dentist who didn't notice the giant cavity. I asked her if it was possible that the cavity had formed within the last couple of weeks. She was very doubtful and said 'but it's really bad news for your teeth if it did'. Turns out Invisilign trays can increase my chances of cavities if I don't brush my teeth after EVERY time I eat. After every latte, every snack, every mandarin orange...even at work. So I guess I have to become that anal retentive dork who brushes her teeth at work. 


The appointment was over and we were booking the appointment for the filling. 

Dr. Davids asked "Did your other dentist take xrays at your check-up? Because I'd like to check that tooth. I'm worried there could be more going on under the surface". 

So, for the second time, I had to tell my dentist I was pregnant. 

Amanda: "No, he didn't, because I'm in the early stages of pregnancy". (notice I didn't say 'I'm pregnant'.) Last time, in the summer, the dental assistant at my other dentist's office had asked 'Are there medical conditions that we should know about?". So of course I told her then, too. My mom actually had to call the receptionist later to tell her what happened.

Dr. Davids: Oh! Congrats! How far along are you?

Amanda: Just about 6 weeks.

Dr. Davids: Have you told your family yet?

Amanda: "Nope, not yet". I wanted so desperately to tell her what had happened before, and that we're being cautiously optimistic, but that we knew things could still go wrong. I felt this urge to provide a caveat to the whole thing. But of course, I didn't.

It's odd that in both cases, my dentists were among the very first people to know.

2 comments:

The Blakeneys said...

What happened with the tooth?? I truly detest going to the dentist. How long do you think I can continue to use the pregnant excuse to get out of procedures before they catch on??
So glad that you don't have to be cautiously optimistic anymore.

Shawna said...

I would imagine that it is common for the dentist to be the first one to know, just by the nature of what they do.