Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, August 15, 2008

5 On Friday: August 15th, 2008

1. Monday morning I get on the bus, and head straight to my favorite seat - the very back of the bus, by the window. The bus is pretty empty, so I could have sat anywhere. When I get to the back I go to sit down, and, as if placed there just for me upon the blue transit cushion, was a Toonie and a Loonie. 3 bucks, just sitting there. The guy at the other window had his headphones on and was completely oblivious.

I picked up the coins and sat down, looking around to see if anyone was watching me. I thought maybe I was on candid camera, and this was a test to see what I would do with the money. What is the right thing to do? I wasn't about to turn it in to the bus driver, that's for sure. So I placed the coins on the ledge of the window. Not sure why. Then, as the bus picked up more & more people and the bus got fuller and fuller, I picked up the coins and tossed them in my bag. No alarms went off, no crazy TV Show Host ran onto the bus to call me out.

So, on Monday, Lady Luck treated me to a Free Latte (well, almost free - it actually cost $3.20...but it was nice of her just the same).

2. One thing I have on my New Year's Resolution List every year, is to follow through with the nice gestures/thoughts that I have. It's something that drives me nuts about myself. I will come up with really thoughtful, nice gestures to do for someone, and then time passes, and I never do it. An example would be when I saw a CD called 'Song of the Sirens' in Starbucks, which totally made me think of my friend Becca, and I thought of buying it for her paired with a nice SB gift cert, and mailing it to her out of the blue, for no reason. But then I never did it.

So anyways, my point is that this week I actually followed through with a nice gesture. I remembered how much I appreciated it when guests to our wedding mailed us the photos they took. Since Warren took so many gorgeous photos at my cousin's wedding with his new camera, I decided I wanted to mail her the really great ones - including a wicked-awesome photo of their little girl that I hope she'll love. So, I put them on a CD, went to Blacks, ordered 150 prints, bought little photo albums, and made an album for her, my Grandma and my Dad (with photos of James & Kayley). Then mailed them off. The albums will be nice little surprises for all of them.

3. We went to see The Dark Knight for a second time this week - this time in the IMAX Theatre. It was hilarious, because it's been a while since I've seen a movie at IMAX, and they still play that 'laser show' intro - the one that shows off the speakers and the screen size and plays the ridiculous music with crazy laser beams from the 80s shooting everywhere. Awesome. Better yet, we both agreed that the movie is even BETTER the second time. The first time is amazing, but because the film feels like it's going to end about 2 or 3 times, is felt long in parts. But, the second time around, we knew it wasn't ending and we knew about all the great bits still to come, so it just ROCKED. I love this movie. Disturbing - but awesome. Heath Ledger blows it out of the water.

4. I'm **hoping** our house will begin a transformation this month. We're getting a painter in to give us a quote on the entire upstairs & back stairway. This will be a huge job, because there is wallpaper that needs to come down, and we want all the wooden trim & doors painted white. Hopefully when it's all complete, with new carpet, our house will feel less dated and be brighter and more cheerful. That would be nice.

5. This week I had the horrifying experience of tasting the culinary craziness that is TUBBY DOG. It was all in honor of a co-worker/good friend who is sadly leaving Shaw to pursue the vast wealth & perks that can only be found in the Oil & Gas Industry. I ordered the 'Ukey', which was one of the tamer choices - Ukrainian sausage (although the box it came it had to have holes cut out on each end, so the long tips of the sausage could stick out...) with simple toppings - ketchup, mustard and relish. It was still so sloppy and big I needed a knife & fork to eat it.

Some of the other, more 'colorful' options on the menu were (keep in mind these are all HOT DOGS):

The SUMO: topped with Japanese Mayo, Wasabi, Pickled Ginger and lightly seasoned sesame seeds. (Supposedly this one was good, but made your nostrils burn).

The PBJ: topped with Peanut Butter, Jelly & Captain Crunch (someone ordered this and I almost HURLED looking at it).

The GRIPPER: the hot dog is wrapped in Bacon and then Deep Fried, topped with Ham, Chili, Cheese, Mustard, Bacon, Hot Peppers, Onions and a Fried Egg. (These were absurd, and barely resembled a Hot Dog - the fried egg on top was ludicrous. I was getting my mad First Aid Skills ready, because I was sure the poor souls eating them were about to go into cardiac arrest).

3 comments:

The Blakeneys said...

Have you tried Chien Chaud?? They have gourmet (read: civilized) hot dogs. Although I didn't mind the A-Bomb at Tubby Dog -- how can you go wrong with squeeze cheese and crushed bbq potato chips?!?
Great New Year's resolution by the way...I might just have to try that one out in 2009. I'll be coming to you for pointers!

Shawna said...

Hot doags are not supposed to be gourmet. And Captain Crunch should not come in contact with processed meat. That is all I can say about that.

I agree, great New Years resolution. Like most, it sounds tough to keep, so good for you.

T said...

One day I'll tell you the story of how David came across the wreckage of an Oscar Mayer truck with its contents spilled all over the road. I'm pretty sure you'll never eat a hot dog again...