Rhys had a very short nap - 55 minutes. For a kid who often naps 2-4 hours, this was über short, but that was partly my fault. The 'method' I am following says to listen for the child to stir, so you can ask if they need to pee. So the first sign of movement on the monitor and I went into his room. He did not have to pee, but then proclaimed loudly 'it's wake up time!'. Damn it.
But the great news...he was DRY! And then he remained dry for the next several hours. Which was great. Sort of. But I was beginning to feel like I was in a starring contest with his crotch. Looking for the first sign of a dribble. Now I understand why pumping him with fluids is so important...he can't learn to pee on the potty if he rarely has to go. So freezies and Popsicles are an important reward/treat. Also, I found salty snacks (popcorn, chips, popcorn twists) made him thirsty so he'd drink more.
And then of course, Murphy's Law would dictate that as soon as Warren came home and Rhys showed him his dry undies, Rhys started peeing himself while Warren was in the locked bathroom going himself. Grrrrr....
For the remainder of the day I mostly caught him in the act. It was hard to praise him and remain positive when deep down I was disappointed. So I reminded myself that for the past 2.5 years he has just released in his diaper without thinking and needs to learn the signs himself.
I was really proud when he sat on the potty (fairly willingly) at bedtime, and pushed out a really great pee, without wetting his underwear.
He went to bed nice and early, 7:30pm, and when I counted the number of wet/soiled undies to be washed it was 8. Not too shabby for the first day.
Here's to hoping night #1 goes perfectly. I am exhausted.
Cheers!
Friday, May 25, 2012
Potty Training Bootcamp: Day #1, Part 2
Posted by Amanda at 8:09 PM
Labels: Parenthood, Potty Training, Rhys
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Like I said, hardest parenting task, so hard to teach them what you don't remember learning. You can do it!
Post a Comment