Before Kyle was born, I was freaking out a little about what the heck I would do to keep Rhys occupied during the day once he was home with me full time.
So I downloaded this book: 365 Games Smart Toddlers Play
Aside from the pretentious title, I really like this book. It's full of everyday, simple, cheap ideas of fun things to do with young children (like hide stuffed animals all over your house, give your child a flash light, turn out the lights, and let them go an a safari hunt! Brilliant!). And on my iPad I can 'bookmark' the games/craft/activities/tips that I like and refer back to them later.
One activity the books suggests, is a 'sorting' game. You use multicoloured items, like buttons or coins or whatever and have your toddler sort them into clear jars. "Your toddler will love the sound of the items falling into the glass jars! " the book boasts.
Sounds good on paper.
In our case, we used uncooked spiral noodles that came in green, yellow and orange.
These pictures depict a well behaved young chap in his lovely plaid pyjamas, enjoying the wonderfully fun, yet educational, game that his perfect mother facilitated for him:


What the pictures don't show is that he was interested in the game for about 3 minutes, then had a full on 'on-the-floor-whining' tantrum while he screamed 'Dieeeeegoooo! Don't want to play with moooommmmmyy!!! Dieeeegoooo!", followed by an eventual 3 more minutes of playing the game (because a bribe was used, I'm almost certain).
SIGH.
Well, at least the noodles tasted good at lunch time.



1 comments:
It is too bad that the noodle thing didn't work out, but I live the stuffed animal safari idea! Even my ten year olds would participate in that. (They may want to shoot the animals with nerf guns, though.)
Post a Comment